Home > Recipe > Anna's Fish Soup from Gamla Rif, Iceland

Anna's Fish Soup from Gamla Rif, Iceland

I came across this delicious fish soup in the small harbour village of Rif in the Snaefellsnes peninsula in Iceland in June 2010. Gamla Rif, owned and run by two fishermen’s wives, has a variety of delicious homemade food and snacks. Their fish soup was made from the freshest daily catch from their husbands’ boats. It was so delicious that we asked Anna, one of the owners, for the recipe, and she was kind enough to share it with us. The recipe is simple, and the secret of success certainly lies in the fresh fish and seafood. I have experimented with variations of this by using different fish, and adding sweetcorn etc. You should do the same and find the ultimate best combination – let me know!

INGREDIENTS

• 1 Onion
  • 2 Cloves of garlic
  • 1 Can of chopped tomatoes
  • 2 Cans of water
  • 2 Cubes of fish stock
  • 1 Cube of vegetable stock
  • 1 Tin of peaches
  • Fresh cream (single cream)
  • Fish / Seafood of your choice (I’d recommend firm white fish, scallops and prawns)
  • Curry Powder

METHOD

1. Chop the onions into small pieces, and cut the peaches into halves
  2. Fry the onions and garlic
  3. Add the chopped tomatoes, water, stock, juice of the peaches, and chopped peaches. Add curry powder to taste
  4. Leave to simmer for 30-45 minutes
  5. Add fish / seafood, and then simmer for another 10 minutes
  6. Add cream to soup, and then serve
Advertisements
Categories: Recipe Tags: , , ,
  1. Bryndís
    May 3, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Thanks a lot for this recipe, I wanted to ask for it when I was there but didn´t. Made it last night, and it was delicious of course. Thanks again.

2. EDWARD RAFF
    July 7, 2016 at 3:11 pm

you should chop and add the peaches only at the very end and only 1/2 peach per bowl. Got the recipe directly from Anna and she said “they use much peaches” when we asked her about what she was chopping right before the soup was served.

3. Linda O'Leary
    August 6, 2017 at 9:56 pm

I am wondering on the amounts here. How much is one can of tomatoes and one tin of peaches? And how much fish do you use? Can you help?

• EDWARD H RAFF
      September 11, 2017 at 10:30 am

It really is up to your taste. I used a 28 oz/794gram can of tomatoes and a smaller can of peaches but, as I commented, only used about half a peach chopped in each bowl of soup but more is always better.

• September 11, 2017 at 10:34 pm

Thanks Edward – I agree with you…. It’s up to personal taste – I think that’s what Anna said also.

1. September 13, 2012 at 8:22 am